Sunday, July 27, 2008

JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH-3D


I haven't read the book nor I'm I a Jules Verne fan. All I know about him, I learned from the "Back to the Future" trilogy and I'm fine with that. I can only speculate that this new version is only slightly based on the book. The book is used in the film as motivation to search for Brendan Fraser's missing brother who was known as a "Vernian". Someone who believes that Jules' Vern stories are true and not science fiction stories. They quickly realize that it's true and it leads to some cool 3D scenes, but I wish the entire film would be packed of these scenes, instead of just the characters basically just being in the foreground the entire time. It's a fun family film that doesn't bore or bring any real depth to the story. It's what you think it's going to be. 90 minutes of some fun and cool 3D. Some of the scenes really immerse you into the steam or rain atmospheres and some do nothing. It's a lot like last year's "Beowulf", nothing special, but the 3D gives it a reason to be seen in the theaters. I'd say it's worth a screening, but I'd see it in the 3D format than just at home.

No comments: